Monday 16 November 2009

The Long Journey

It has been a long and tiresome journey for which one cannot be sure of the outcome. It has certainly come with its fair share of ups and downs and when you think you have made headway then another obstacle will appear and another one to overcome. Will there ever be light at the end of the tunnel? Sometimes it has felt that I have been battling to save this empty old house entirely on my own but I know that is not true and that there are several faithful supporters that have helped me keep sane .

I have met many people since starting this venture and have written to many companies, organisations, individuals, celebrities and royalty to raise awareness of our plight and to ascertain whether there is a possible alternative to the modern apartments that the developers wish to build. Our hopes for a museum, coffee and gift shop will not dwindle all the time I receive messages of support giving me the incentive to battle on. Should all else fail we will fight to prevent the house from being divided into flats and for it to remain as one house.

Most of the replies that I have received have been suggestions and other contacts, and with me being me, I have continuously followed up on all these which has led me to writing hoards more letters and e-mails.

I have alerted SAVE Britain's Heritage, an organisation recommended by the office of the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall. SAVE have recently replied to my e-mail which comes with a small glimmer of hope. Local MP Jeremy Hunt has very kindly backed up my nomination to register Undershaw with SAVE showing his support to the campaign. For more information on SAVE, please visit their website savebritainsheritage.org Since writing this post SAVE have declined to help the Trust which has been a bitter disappointment especially after being recommended by the office of HRH Prince Charles and backed by Jeremy Hunt MP, Shadow Culture Minister.

It has almost been a year since I involved myself with Conan Doyle's house. Within this time we have organised two open days at Undershaw to raise awareness amongst the locals. We made contact with Richard Doyle (Conan Doyle's great nephew) who very kindly came along to show his support in respect of all supporters worldwide. Meridian Tonight News filmed part of the day and interviewed Richard Doyle and Sally Morgan. Unfortunately to my utmost disappointment the footage was shelved and never went out on local TV. This may have been a turning point should we have been successful with an article on the local news. Any ideas of how we could persuade Meridian News to broadcast this?

No comments:

Post a Comment